Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Making fridge magnets

Hi there Bloglanders


I'm back to share some fridge magnets I made a while ago to keep the neighborhood kids busy. The inspiration actually came from a project that Monika Wright did with some ready made embellishments from Momenta.  However, it's a mission to get nice goodies in sunny South Africa and I had to adapt the idea.

What's the solution?  Use / recycle what you have and give it a personal twist. I used scraps and punched out different shapes. ( you can cut them out by hand as well but I USE the tools that I have) In the middle I punched out another circle and filled it in from behind with some transparency off cuts. Remember my blindside-son is an architect and uses it all the time for windows in his models. (lots of off cuts!).  At the back I added a frame that I cut out of corrugated carton (then its ticker), filled it up with left over beads, glued it shut with another die cut and added a magnet.

The magnet in the middle of my picture was punched out of black craft foam and I omitted the frame and beads at the back.

To make the fronts nice and shiny I added glossy accents. The secret here is to leave it to dry properly.  I recommend that you do this yourself and store them away for at least a day if you do this project with children as they keep touching it and that totally spoils the effect.

That's it from me for today. For those of you who are proposing - hope your wildest dreams and expectations come true. Please come back to play tomorrow as I'll be sharing the album I made for my mom.

1 comment:

  1. these are adorable! love the shaker aspect of them...would make me want to take them off the fridge and play.

    ReplyDelete