Monday, June 23, 2014

Seed Crackers

Hello Bloglanders

And I'm back to share a five star recipe.  Now, I'm not the world's biggest baker - I love to bake bread, do rusks for my family once a month, cook if I have to and try to stay clear of cakes and pastries.  My little phrase for 2014 (other people have little words; IMPERFECT ME has 3!!) is "TRY SOMETHING NEW". So, still snowed under with the black bridesmaid dresses, I try my something new while feeding the family. This recipe comes from Tim Noakes book "The real meal revolution". It's called Nutty Crackers in the book but as it only contains seeds, IMPERFECT ME renamed them "Seedy" Crackers.


Now, first of all, I'm not following the Tim Noakes diet but I think he has a point and if every recipe in his book tastes as good as this, I'll try some more.

I've altered the ingredients and method and my recipe now looks like this:
INGREDIENTS:
200g Sunflower seeds
60g Linseed (the original recipe called for Flax seeds but I didn't see it and just added Linseed - it turned out so well that I adapted my recipe.)
100g Sesame seeds
2 tbsp Psyllium husks (don't have an idea what this is but I got it from my local health store)
2 cups of water
1 ts salt
METHOD:
Preheat oven to 160 degrees.
Mix all the ingredients together and leave for 10 minutes. (I have forgotten about mine, left it for half a day and it was my best batch yet.)
Spread the mixture on 2 baking trays lined with baking paper. I use 2 jam roll tins and pat it with my wet hands as you want it as even as possible.
Now bake for one and a half hour.
The original recipe says you must turn the trays as it will burn, I didn't do that and mine didn't burn - I've done 6 batches up to date.
Remove from the oven and break into pieces. Once cool, store in an airtight container.

This is what the "sludge" looks like before it goes into the oven:


And when it comes out:


Pieter's Princess is allergic to wheat and even she can eat them. They are yummy on their own but for  a "snacker" like me, they get 12 out of 10 with a dip. Best part is they stay nutty and crisp - I even add the crumbs to soup.


There you have it. My best recipe of the century!! I will never buy crackers again!!

That's it. I'm off to try something new. Have a wonderful week.





No comments:

Post a Comment